Learning to just let go

The title refers to me. In reading and learning about what my children are dealing with, I have learned a LOT about myself.  The psychologist who evaluated B said that it was likely that my husband or I were gifted as well. I could see it in my husband, but I just think I have ADD. ;)   However I find that the more I learn, the more I realise I am definitely spirited and sensational!  It helps me be a more compassionate and understanding mother, remembering what I went through when I was younger, and what I deal with now. Being able to say "hey, I don't like this, and I need to stop..." not that they always listen! But modelling proper behaviour rather than throwing my own tantrum is a step in them learning how to do so themselves.

So anyway, I suffer from some perfectionist issues.  I have to physically restrain myself from "fixing" things at times, and let them learn and explore.  I have noticed B has these issues too - has since he was a toddler!  He refused to say a word unless he knew he was saying it right. He can't just leave something unless it's RIGHT. If someone else is doing something different than he thinks it should be, he physically shakes if he can't make it RIGHT.

It's hard, because I know how he feels. How do I teach him to move on, if I have trouble?

Today was a lesson for us and I think it went well. We made ornaments! Salt dough ornaments.

First we measured the ingredients. (omg Messy! *twitch*)
Then we mixed. (more twitching)
Then we kneaded. (I didn't do too well here, I kneaded it for them to a point. hah)




Then we rolled.  (FAILED that one.)
Then we cut two ornaments to be the official ornaments this year, and then I let them go for it. So we all win. I get my "perfect" and they get their fun.





When it comes down to it, my kids are clever, and it all worked out well.



At least, until the paints come out. *twitch*



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

If you want to make your own ornaments, here is the recipe!

Preheat oven to about 125°C/250°F

1/2 cup salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup water

Mix well, knead, roll out to about 3-4mm or so - thick enough to not break, but thin enough to bake evenly.  Cut with cookie cutters.

Bake for 2 hours. (yes, two) Let cool completely, and then paint with acrylic paints.

0 comments:

Post a Comment